Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day Six: Laurel Falls


Last night Zach and I slept well. We did not hear or encounter any bears. Note to self: When tent camping, it is best to stay for a couple of days or more once you have set up. It is a pain in the butt having to set up and take down every day. Today is the first day we skipped making breakfast. I didn't want to deal with cleaning dishes with no running water. The campsite was clean but It would have been a lot better if there had been water and electric. My 12v cooler drained out my power pack sometime during the night. I was expecting to get 30 hours of use out of it, according to my calculations, but that didn't happen. Luckily,the eggs were still cool when we woke up. We decided we didn't need to spend another day at the National Park. Both of the restrooms near our site were nasty smelling. Those facilities need a good bleaching. On the way out of the park, we stopped at Laurel Falls. This was a 1.3 mile trek up a hill that leads to a beautiful set of falls. Parking was a little bit of a pain. If we had got there later than 10:30, I would imagine we would have had a lot more trouble finding a spot. The trail was fairly easy and worth the view. Once we got back into town, we ate at BK and took the Sky Lift. You get a great view of the valley and this doesn't cost an arm and a leg. After purchasing the picture and a couple of gifts at the top, I got out of there only about 38 dollars less than we arrived.
I realized it was time to move on and as we were leaving, it started raining. I gave up on the idea of a campground. If I had a trailer, that would have been another story. We made our way west to Severeville, TN. and checked into the La Quinta. Ahh.. Hot showers, clean bathrooms, fresh laundry and no setting up camp. Good choice, Mark! Zach was getting a bad case of the squirts. Good thing! Tomorrow we are going to head for the motherland; Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment